Ceredo is a city in Wayne County, West Virginia, located approximately 10 miles north of Huntington. The city is situated along the Ohio River and has an estimated population of 1,977 people as of 2019. Geographically, Ceredo is situated in a hilly area with the Ohio River running along its southern border. The climate in Ceredo is humid and subtropical with hot summers and cold winters.
Ceredo was founded in 1857 by industrialist Jabez B. Jackson who named the town after his daughter, Cereta D. Jackson who was born the same year as the town’s founding. The town was originally a railroad hub for coal production and other industries which served as a major economic driver for the area until its decline in the mid-20th century. Today, Ceredo’s economy is largely based on agriculture and tourism due to its close proximity to Huntington’s many attractions and outdoor recreational areas such as Beech Fork Lake State Park, Chief Cornstalk Wildlife Management Area, and Wayne Wildlife Area.
Education in Ceredo is provided by Wayne County Schools which consists of several elementary schools, one middle school, one high school (Ceredo-Kenova High School), two private schools (St Joseph Catholic School & Waynedale Christian Academy), and Marshall University which is located 15 miles northeast of Ceredo in Huntington.
The most recognizable landmark in Ceredo is certainly its historic downtown district which features several restored buildings from the late 19th century including City Hall (built 1894) and First National Bank (built 1897). Other notable landmarks include Memorial Park (a tribute to veterans) located along Main Street near City Hall; Jabez B Jackson Monument located at Riverview Cemetery; War Memorial Bridge connecting Ceredo to Kenova; Fort Hill Cemetery; Mount Vernon Church; St Joseph Catholic Church; Mount Union Church; and many more historical sites throughout the city’s neighborhoods.
Population: 1,675. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,631 (-2.6% change)
Males: 707 (42.2%), Females: 968 (57.8%)
Zip code: 25507
Median resident age: 46.4 years
Median household income: $24,323
Median house value: $70,900
Races in Ceredo:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.3%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (25.3%), English (16.2%), Irish (10.0%), German (4.7%), Scottish (2.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.6%).
Elevation: 552 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Ceredo, West Virginia is a small town with a population of just over 1,300 people. It is located in Wayne County in the western part of the state. The median household income in Ceredo is $33,544, which is lower than the median income for all of West Virginia. The cost of living in Ceredo is also relatively low compared to other parts of the country. Housing costs are significantly lower than the national average and are some of the most affordable in all of West Virginia. Utilities such as electricity, water, and gas are also quite reasonable when compared to other parts of the country. The unemployment rate in Ceredo is slightly higher than the national average but still relatively low at 4%. This suggests that there are ample job opportunities available for those who are looking for work. Additionally, there are plenty of recreational activities available to residents including parks, trails and lakeside camping sites. Overall, Ceredo provides its residents with an affordable cost of living and plenty of recreational opportunities to enjoy life in a small town atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Ceredo
- High school or higher: 73.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ceredo city
- Never married: 17.3%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 11.9%
- Divorced: 14.0%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -231 (-12.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ceredo:
- KINGS DAUGHTERS MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; ASHLAND, KY)
- OUR LADY OF BELLEFONTE HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; ASHLAND, KY)
- CABELL-HUNTINGTON HOSPITAL INC (about 9 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ceredo:
- TRI-STATE/MILTON J. FERGUSON FIELD (about 2 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: HTS)
- YEAGER (about 68 miles; CHARLESTON, WV; Abbreviation: CRW)
- RICKENBACKER INTERNATIONAL (about 100 miles; COLUMBUS, OH; Abbreviation: LCK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ceredo:
- LAWRENCE COUNTY AIRPARK (about 6 miles; CHESAPEAKE/HUNTINGTON WVA, OH; Abbreviation: HTW)
- ASHLAND-BOYD COUNTY (about 17 miles; ASHLAND, KY; Abbreviation: DWU)
- ROBERT NEWLON FIELD (about 19 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: I41)
Amtrak stations near Ceredo:
- 9 miles: ASHLAND (99 15TH ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: HUNTINGTON (8TH AVE. & 10TH ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, West Virginia is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ceredo:
- MARSHALL UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Full-time enrollment: 12,361)
- SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,849)
- MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 62 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Full-time enrollment: 6,866)
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 70 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)
- OHIO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 72 miles; ATHENS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,721)
- HOCKING TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 77 miles; NELSONVILLE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,050)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY AT PARKERSBURG (about 93 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,306)
Public primary/middle schools in Ceredo:
- CEREDO-KENOVA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 299; Location: 4TH AND HIGH STS.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CEREDO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 221; Location: 484 MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 05)